Wednesday, February 5, 2014

“Blogging, the Other White Meat”

To us writers the world of blogging is lot like high school, and the physical act itself is like the cigarettes and other extracurricular activities that were frowned upon by the authority, but thanks to good old fashioned peer pressure and the mindset that “everyone else is doing it”  we jump on the bandwagon and start our own blogs.

The bloggers themselves can also be compared to the various student types you would find within the classroom setting, like for example the “teacher’s pet”, these are the people who play it safe, they stay within the lines of the highway known as life and they write what they believe the teacher (who in this case would be the general public) wants to read.

Next you have the rebels, the bad boys (or girls, don’t want to sound sexiest here) of the blogging world, the Zack Morris type if you will, these are the people who go against the grain, who go out of their way to stray from the heard and only write things that they believe would result in shock and awe from the reader.

Then you have the so-called brains, the bloggers who believe that they know it all, and without them and their vast knowledge of the world and all things in it, we would be completely lost and roaming around like a blind person without a cane and/or any other instrument to help us find our way.

Finally we have the screw-ups, the writers (if you can call them that) who have no frigging idea what they are doing and why they are doing it, they believe just because they have a blog that they are a writer, they don’t seem to realize (or care depending on the person) that writing requires skill and talent, not just the ability to push random buttons on a keyboard like a chicken feeding on corn.

To me personally blogging is a lot of fun; it’s a way to express myself without having to listen to other people’s opinions and/or their feelings on the particular topic I so choose to discuss, in a way I feel like a god, now granted not a god you would find on Mount Olympus chilling with Zeus or one that has thousands of faithful followers doing my bidding, but nevertheless I am still a god.

Blogging also makes me feel like a rockstar, but not the kind that has women screaming his name and throwing their panties on the stage as he bellows out their favorite songs, but rather the kind that believes he is something special because he is rocking out in his garage and random clubs with his friends with the hopes of one day getting discovered and scoring a record deal, or in my case a job as a real writer.

So remember, blogging can be a lot of fun and a great way to hone your craft, as long as that craft is witch craft because there is already way too much of that crap on the net.

It is not a get rich quick scheme; it takes a lot of hard work, dedication and lots, and lots of patience, so if you don’t plan on seeing the race through to the end then don’t even bother.

There is also a ton of competition out there, pretty much everyone and their mother has a blog and believes themself to be a writer, the next big thing, and totally not afraid to step on your head if it means getting themselves over.

Lastly, just because you write doesn’t mean you’re a writer, just as much so as playing Operation doesn’t make you a surgeon or playing with Mr. Potato Head make you a plastic surgeon, so listen to the feedback and don’t be afraid to seek the advice of others.

Now I don’t want you to think I’m trying to persuade you from blogging, just know that it is only a launching spot, like a trampoline at Harlem Globetrotters show when they go up for one of their famous whacky and zany dunks, it is just the starting line not the finish line.

MJM

16 comments:

  1. We wrote verses that condemned us, with no hope of pardon, to the most bitter solitude.

    Salvatore Quasimodo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um what? Why do you always got to be showing off your smarts and junk.

      Delete
  2. I write because I gotta - it's like oxygen to me. But I *LOVE* the feedback of blogging and am a total whore for comments and interaction and building relationships with other bloggers. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta? Wink twice if you are in a Chinese sweatshop and I'll send help.

      Delete
  3. Hmm... I wonder who I would be in the school of blogging. I was always the weird one in school so I guess I've answered my own question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird ones rock, and everyone stays away from them because they never know if they're going to go all crazy and freak on them.

      Delete
  4. A good read, my friend. I think being a tad opinionated also helps as a blogger, although that may depend on the theme of the blog. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that my friend...let them bitches know exactly how you feel.

      Delete
  5. You nailed it. Most (all) of the time, I feel like that garage band rocker, who sounds like crap but deludes herself into thinking that someone might discover me one day and I'll become the next Bloggess. Give me credit for imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that my friend, very well said. One day, hopefully, we all make something of ourselves and this will be all worth it.

      Delete
  6. Hey Mike - nice post! I have no clue what blogger personality I am. Is Maniac Blogger a personality? As you have visited my blog its a Frankenstein of topics - food, humor, events, booze, health, and assorted rants and ravings of mine. I do it because I like to have fun and converse with different people. I'm not doing it for revenue either, but there are so many perks and freebies that have come my way because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much my friend. You were probably the person beating people like me up, giving me atomic wedgies and swirlies just for the heck of it.

      Delete
  7. I wish blogging made me a real writer! For me, it is more of a way of expressing myself and reaching out to others... its my connection to the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish anything would make me a real writer, even if it's graffiti on the side of a building...what can I say, I'm desperate. I also use my blog for expressing myself, and for showcasing my insanity, but honestly no one seems to care...I'm sad.

      Delete
  8. MJM - Nice read. Don't you really think the purpose of blogging is to stimulate? Think about it. From the crazy to the boring, stimulation takes place. Whether a person is reading or writing, their brain recognizes something it can or cannot relate to and starts envisioning what route needs to be traveled next. Does one go down the road suggested, protest the road suggested, or ignore the road suggested? Do they laugh, frown, agree, disagree, love, hate, grow angry, become satisfied, or experience another emotion after reading? If so, they've been stimulated in one way or another. Any stimulation in today's mundane world has to do some good. A chance to get a person thinking, instead of just existing, becomes an excitement. Superhero or Superflop, one still creates, stimulates, and hopefully, moves others to do the same. You do it with your off the wall, I attempt to do it in my newscast analysis pieces, and even mommy bloggers do it. Just a thought, my friend! See what type of reaction you stimulated here? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, you're absolutely right, we do write for the purpose of stimulation. Writing is kind of like mental sex, if done right the end result is orgasmic.

      Delete