Thursday, May 16, 2013

"The Cockroach, Such a Disgusting Little Bugger"

I was born and raised in New Jersey, where we had our fair share of disgusting bugs (and people).  Surprisingly, our cockroaches, as nasty as they were, weren't really all that bad.

They were small in size, hid when the lights came on, and, for the most part, only frequented dirty places.  When stepped on, they blew up like little jelly and cream filled donuts. A nuisance, yes . . . disgusting, yes . . . but nothing that a can of Black Flag or Raid couldn't handle.

Then, in the mid-90s, I moved to Florida. It was the land of palm trees, beautiful beaches, and the industrial size cockroach. Florida doesn’t want to scare people, so they call it a palmetto bug, but trust me. It's a cockroach.

The first time I came across one of these monstrosities, I had to do a double- take because I thought I was seeing things. The thing was the size of a freaking peanut butter jar and looked just as crunchy.

I kept my distance from it while trying to find something to smash it with, believing that I was fine, as long as I kept an eye on it. Boy, was I wrong. As I was scurrying about, trying to figure out what household item I should choose to become the bringer of death, the bastard started to move.

Being startled, I jumped back. Keeping my eye on it, I thought I was safe, as long as I could see where the little bastard was. Then, all of a sudden, the creepy brown bug of doom opened up its wings and took flight.

I stood there in awe, as if I were witnessing the second coming of Christ, while not moving a muscle. The nasty thing flew right at me and landed on my chest. I did what all grown men do in that situation. I ran out of the room screaming.

With that freakish critter clinging to the center of my chest as I ran, I looked like a white-trash version of Superman . . . Cockroach man.

It finally fell off of my chest and landed on the floor. Now, with tears running down my face, trying to catch my breath, I went into the kitchen and grabbed some roach spray. I was done playing around.

I came back to find it still sitting in the same spot on the floor, as if it were taunting me and telling me to make my move. It was like we were in a Wild West standoff. I unloaded, spraying nearly the entire can on it, the whole time laughing maniacally like a mad scientist and feeling vindicated. I got the last laugh!

The can was about empty, the cloud of poison was settling, and I was ready to see the dead body lying there so that I could pick it up, flush it down the toilet, and send it to its watery grave.

When all was said and done, it was still alive and kicking; staggering like it had just come home from the bar and had too much to drink. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was freaking out trying to kill this thing, and it was living it up. Partying like it was 1999.

I now had an intoxicated roach on my hands, who was no doubt getting a good laugh at my antics. I must say, I now know how Wile E. Coyote felt . . . stupid Road Runner.

Finally, having had enough, I decided that I was going to step on it and end it all. I didn't have shoes on, so I thought about dropping a piece of paper on it and then jumping on the paper with it under it, but I had a bad feeling that I would jump on the paper, he would take off, and leave me on a roach-powered skateboard. I wasn't having that.

I figured I would do the next best thing. I called the cops and waited outside until they showed up.  I had the officer go inside and kill it for me. The moral?  My tax dollars are working.

MJM

22 comments:

  1. The point where the roach attached itself to your shirt like some kind of horribly deformed, misprinted Polo logo reminded me of the scene from Christmas Vacation where the squirrel jumped on Chevy Chase's back and panic ensued - funny story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Vacation...such a great movie. Actually all the Vacation movies were good...even Las Vegas to a certain extent.

      Delete
  2. Isn't that what they killed in the Starship Troopers movie-giant cockroaches? Yeaaaaahhh-I think I'll pass on all things cockroach related and just stay in my nice vermin infested house. I'll take mice over cockroaches any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was...and yes they were gross.

      I do agree...mice are better than roaches...but honestly I can do without either.

      Delete
  3. I like this post, however it did give me the bug heebee jeebies. I hope you have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me...the experience itself gave me the bug heebee jeebies.

      You too have a fabulous weekend.

      Delete
  4. OMG you must be reading my mind! After my rat incident that I blogged about, I had a cockroach incident and was going to blog about. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about because I live in South Florida and you are correct---palmetto bugs are the cadillacs of cockroaches--or machinations of the devil, as I call them. And here's a little FYI--cockroaches are attracted to humans with certain pheromones--especially the females. AND the females are the ones who also fly. So in your case, the roach was interested n mating with you! This post is so funny--you had me Lol-ing when yo said it was like the second coming of Christ---that's brilliant. LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewww gross...I really hope I don't have those "certain pheromones" you speak off...ick.

      As a fellow Floridian you can attest that our "palmetto bugs" are nothing more than industrial sized cockroaches.

      Thank you so much for the positive feedback...lots of love.

      Delete
  5. I don't know what's funnier, you running out of the room like a screaming little girl or that the roach stayed alive after all that poison and you not knowing if you should step on it with a piece of paper as your barrier. You are awesomely funny! And SHUDDER I HATE BUGS. Enough said. Hugs pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me my friend...it was an experience...a very nasty one at that. Those bastards don't die...at least not easily.

      Hugs my friend...you rock donkey.

      Delete
  6. Ick - I am all itchy now. I hate bugs, but being a mom has forced me to man up and kill the suckers when I'm the bravest one around. But maybe I'll call the cops next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hate bugs...but for me...being a father meant I make the kids man up and kill the bugs for me.

      Delete
  7. Now, is Superroach a member of the justice (or injustice) league? I think he should be demoted from superhero status. LOL! Had my fair share of the nasty fellas too. Great share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I believe he would be a member of the injustice league...because who in their right mind would call him to get their cat out of the tree...or better yet save them from a towering inferno...I know I wouldn't.

      Delete
  8. Ohhh cockroaches! I lived in this crappy apartment in Tampa for a while. We kept our place spotless in an effort to discourage the nasty things, but the people next door must have been a family of 12 all in one place and would dump their compost out the front door. It was disgusting. Thank goodness that was a brief lease...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it...it doesn't matter if you're clean or not...these monstrous bugs will come knocking regardless. That's what makes them even worse than your normal cockroaches...because they don't care.

      Oh by the way...that family of 12...disgusting...

      Delete
  9. You know what, you've just very eloquently described my worst fear on earth. There were tons of them in Israel and I have a few horror stories I don't care to relive. Had I known there wouldn't be any in Canada that would probably serve as a reason to move in and of its own! I loved your sensible grown up reaction of screaming and running away, been there, done that and I was never able to crush them either. I think that was the root of my fear, knowing there was nothing I could do to get rid of it. Ew, thanks, this felt like a session. So glad we talked :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me...if not for spiders...these little disgusting buggers would be fear number one. Wait...what...there are no cockroaches in Canada...am I understanding this right...if so I am moving...like right now! You know me...I like to handle things like a mature adult...and if that doesn't work then I run and scream like a little girl.

      Delete
  10. Mike I've been known to just leave the room while saying, "You can have it" when I saw one crawling on the ceiling of our living room. I hate them and I've been terribly paranoid since I knew they could fly. I am from South Carolina where they are calling water bugs or just giant roaches. I've also lived in Florida. We had a screened in porch that would have been nice to sit out in at night but the giant roaches took over. The grossest thing I have seen to date is one flatten itself to come in the house squeezing between a door that was flush with carpet. GROSS! TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that with spiders...but with roaches I'll stay and fight...and I may also scream like a girl if it comes after me...and maybe even faint.

      Delete
  11. They say cockroaches could survive a nuclear attack, so your can of bug spray probably just made it laugh ~TALU~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me...my can of spray did nothing to it...he just shook it off and went about his business.

      Delete