Wednesday, August 21, 2013

“Waking Alice”



Remember bands like Nickelback, Seether and Creed, well me either, that is not since Waking Alice hit the airwaves. These guys are the real deal; they will pop your eardrums and leave you smiling the whole time.
Please welcome my very special guest to The Insane Asylum...Waking Alice!

Waking Alice is…
Rus Chaney- vocals
Brandon Brewer- guitars, backing vocals
Brayton Bourque- bass
John Levey - drums
MJM – currently trying out for the band **fingers crossed**…I play a mean triangle
(The band members names are color coded so you can tell who answered what)
I recently sat down with the band, virtually of course, and had a mature and well-mannered talk with them…and here’s what they had to say.

1. What bands/artists were you’re inspiration?

The classics like Led Zeppelin and Queen and a lot of progressive rock bands like Rush, Yes, and Porcupine Tree. The current bands like Avenged Sevenfold, The Darkness, Coheed and Cambria, and any of these newer bands that have a ton of energy and musicianship.

2. Are you guys really friends, or do you secretly hate each other and plan on breaking up once you make it big, like so many bands before you?

That’s a good question. I would say that yes…we are friends for the most part. That being said…if we were to get famous I would replace them all with the girls from Robert Palmers music videos.

These guys have become great friends, who else will laugh at my dark sense of humor but Brandon? My wife just states at me in horror and shakes her head whenever I tell her what I'm laughing about...

3. Would you ever do a remake of a Milli Vanilli song, and if so what song?

Of course. We would do Blame It On the Rain

4. What song(s) would you Vanilla Ice (steal) if you had the chance?

I think he would steal our song “Biggest Lie”….because that’s what his entire career has been.

5. If you could meet any other band in an “Outsiders” style rumble, who would it be and why?

Nickleback. They seem like douchbags and they represented the beginning of the end of hard rock music.

6. What are your favorite song(s)?

Led Zeppelins The Rain Song, Porcupine Tree’s Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Queens Flash Gordon Theme

"What it is to Burn" by Finch, "I Love Your Blood" by The Vanished, and "Walk" by Foo Fighters

7. Are you doing the music thing for the money, fame or woman (or men if you go that way)?

If we are doing it for fame or chicks….we are failing miserably. So let’s just say we want to make a statement in the local scene.

8. How did the band come about?

It just sort of came together overnight…and by overnight I mean over the better part of ten years with different band members and names.

9. If you happen to be a one hit wonder, which song would you want to be that one hit?

Biggest Lie. Because Vanilla Ice stole it and there was a huge lawsuit…

10. Who writes the music?

Generally…I (Brandon) bring in the main riffs and progressions then we put it all together. Primarily Rus handles most of the lyric writing.

11. When you make it big what’s the first thing you’re going to buy with your money?

I would take that money and pay off all of the things I had been buying already….slowly dig my way out of debt. Then…repeat.

12. Who would you like to do a collaboration with…and please don’t say Lil Wayne?

I would like for us to do a collaboration with any new country artist….then we could get people to our shows in Texas.

13. What do you think of emo bands…would you beat them up if you could?

Some are ok. Some make me want to set myself on fire. I wouldn’t beat them up though….mainly because….what if I lose???

14. Where did the name “Waking Alice” come from?

A good friend and former band member named Ben Johnson called me several years ago and said…how about Waking Alice for the name. I goggled it and no one had it. So we ran with it.

15. For those about to rock…would you salute them?

Always…Fire!

16. Does “Waking Alice” rock it like a hurricane or bang their head, because metal health has driven them mad?

We are much more likely to rock you like a hurricane….

17. Which bands would you like to tour with?

Porcupine Tree, Coheed and Cambria, Periphery

Foo Fighters, Sick Puppies, Shinedown... They are bands I like and think they'd be cool to hang out with. There are some Dallas bands I wouldn't mind tearing up a hotel room or two with either...

18. What do you think of the current state of music?

It is what it is. There are a lot of talented bands coming up over the last year or so. It’s not great…but it’s better than it has been for the last 10 years.

Brandon answered it well. To add to that, locally I think it's great as well. Things have really picked up in Dallas over the last year and bands are pulling together and supporting each other more. It's good to see the scene reviving after a few years where it seemed to be on its deathbed.

19. Do you wish TRL was still on the air so you could hang with Carson Daly?

Yes…oh wait. You said hang with….sorry…misread that.

20. What do you think about shows like “American Idol” and “The Voice”?

They aren’t my cup of tea. I hate that they are so popular when these people that watch these shows have talented people right in their own back yards. Most of those talent shows are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. It’s easier to be told what to like than to go out and find something special and make a connection to it.

I won't lie. My wife and I watch The Voice and X Factor. I have 2 major issues with them... 1.) Rock is nonexistent in these shows, a guy with a bit of a growl is called a "rocker" but he'd be laughed at in a rock scene... 2.) Kids look at these and think this is how it's done. That's wrong. Buy an instrument, find some friends and start a band. You may suck at first, but keep at it and make something. Be original and work for it. Taking the shortcut just kills credibility and proves you aren't really in it for the music...


See how kick ass these fellas are? They did this for you, so now it’s your turn to return the favor, click on the links below, show them some love and buy (don’t steal, at least not until they’re rich and famous) their music.

Follow them on Twitter @wakingaliceband

This has been a special presentation of the “Insane Asylum”…where you hear it first…or is that MTV?!

MJM

4 comments:

  1. Love this. And am kind of jealous. I want to interview a rockband. Can you get me a gig with Justin Currie? Only you'd have to fly me to Scotland. just saying. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it girl...I'm sending you plane tickets, backstage passes and Justin Currie (whoever the poop that is).

      Delete
    2. Ummm... I feel like you're forgetting someone... Oh yeah, Me. I like rock bands and Scotland!! I also like this post...and the name Justin Currie.

      Delete
    3. Julie I would never forget about you...you too have some backstage passes and plane tickets coming your way...but I still have no idea who this Justin Currie character is.

      Delete