Saturday, June 29, 2013

”Can I Get an Amen”

I am not trying to be sacrilegious and/or crap on anyone else’s beliefs with the things I am about to say, so put away your holy water and bibles, I am basically just sharing my feelings and outlook on established religion as a whole. I consider myself a God fearing man…I just don’t like what man has done with that God I fear…they have made him into more of a plaything for their own personal agendas, he has become a pawn in their evil games.

To each their own, if you’re happy and not hurting and/or condemning anyone else to hell for being sinful when you yourself are just as sinful and/or trying to recruit everyone you see to your religion of choice just like as if you’re a scout for a major league baseball team then have at it…enjoy yourself and I wish you many blessings.

There are many decent God fearing people in this world, who don’t go around hating and/or condemning others, regardless of which God they serve. The only reason it seems like the reverse is because the minority have bigger mouths and want all the attention, whereas the majority are perfectly fine just serving the lord they so choose to without making it into a spectacle.

And for the record, you don’t need a religious faith to be obnoxious…there are plenty of Atheists who go around throwing their stink and condemning others to the land of dunceville because they believe in a higher power…acting as if they are smarter than everyone else because they don’t have a faith.

So just remember people, it’s not your faith or the lack thereof that makes you an ass…it’s who you are as a person, it’s in your genetic makeup.

Now for my rant…

I grew up Catholic, went to church on Sundays, said my prayers and even avoided eating meat on Fridays so I am speaking from experience here, not just from what someone else told me and/or something I saw on TV.

1. I used to believe that I wasn’t good enough to speak to God directly; that I had to go through one of his boys like as if we were in the mafia or as if he was some sort of famous rapper. When it came to prayer it felt as if I lived in Florida and was trying to get to New Jersey but I had to go through California to get there, it just didn’t make sense and felt like I was going unnecessarily out of my way.

2. I wondered if they called us sheep because we were mindless and easily led, was the priest and the altar boys laughing at us (of course while they weren’t having sex with each other…sorry I know low blow but I just couldn't resist) behind the pulpit while partaking in some Jesus juice…I can only imagine the “people watching” stories they must have.

3. I didn’t see the point of the pope either…is he like some kind of religious godfather or something…is he the pimp and the rest of us his bitches…I really just don’t get it. Why is he any better than everyone else…does this man have information that he is using to blackmail God…did he catch God coming out of a hotel room with a female deity?

4. I don’t understand how people can believe that the bible is living but doesn’t evolve…they believe that what is between the covers is all he/she is…like there’s nothing deeper to him/her. I believe that the bible is a blueprint for how we should live our lives, but just a blueprint not yet the finished product. The bible gives us the foundation…but just like with building a house there are always changing laws/requirements that need to be respected and additions that need to be added on as the times change.

Speaking of the bible…I can’t stand when people take little tidbits of passages and use them as weapons to hurt/condemn others…when in all truthfulness there is more to the story…and in most cases a whole lot more. Tell the whole story or don’t say anything at all…the bible isn’t a cafeteria where you can pick and choose what you want and disregard the rest.

5. Why do people believe you have to go to church to serve God…doesn’t it say in the bible that he is omnipresence…so if that is the case I can spend time with him right in my living room and even the bathroom if I so choose to.  Now I know going to church is a great way to be around likeminded people and to be fed God’s good word…but if I never step foot in a church it doesn’t mean I just bought myself a one-way ticket to hell.

6. People who condemn others to hell…what gives them the right…who made them judge and jury over your soul. The people who go around beating on their chest proclaiming their self-righteousness and damning others to the fires of hell remind me of the dudes in the locker room who would go around bragging they banged more chicks than anyone else, when in all reality they never got out of the starting gate…all talk and no show.  Most of the people who do this kind of thing are the ones who would be considered the grand marshals of the hell parade…more fire than halos in their closet.


7. Truthfully to me Catholicism felt more like a workout regimen with all the standing, sitting and kneeling then it did a church outing, and with me being lazy I just wasn’t feeling it. Instead of “Sweating to the Oldies” with Richard Simmons, it was “Sweating to the Hymnals” with Father Bob…and just like with health club dues they made sure to collect your membership fees (aka tithes) every Sunday, and if you didn’t pay you were “exorcised” from the church.

End of rant...

I decided that after my dealings with Catholicism then I would leave the religion…but not my faith…I have found I can serve God and live my life as he would want me to without sacrificing the person he made. We are made in his image…and he doesn’t make mistakes…so who am I to tamper with his work and tell him he messed up.

I know it will seem to some that I am directly attacking Catholicism by the bulk of what I have to say, but that is not that case, it is how I was brought up and all I knew for a good part of my life so that is what I am speaking on. I’m sure there are other people, from other religions who have their own stories to share, so if they so choose to I am willing to listen. I don’t have an issue with the people who are genuinely serving God and do so under the umbrella of Catholicism…it just wasn’t for me because of the reasons I’ve listed prior.

God gave me these thoughts and the sense of humor I used to present them…so I refuse to believe that he will smite me as a result of it, so if you plan on attacking me for my words then please keep moving along because there’s nothing here to see.

Stop hating…put down the stones because there isn’t a single one of us without sin…and love thy neighbor as thyself as God has so commanded! The world will be such a better place if everyone abided by this philosophy.

You’ve just been churched…God bless,

MJM

16 comments:

  1. Amen brotha. I like how you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl...knowing you're in my corner makes it all worth it.

      Delete
  2. You are right, it's not religion that makes an ass. It is the ass that kills religion. I do think you need faith, though, of whatever color. It helps makes living day-to-day worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you...having a strong faith definitely helps make this crazy world a whole lot easier to manage.

      Delete
  3. Mind, I am quite a devout Catholic but I agree with you......tenets of religion are essentially man made. That's why the problem with dogma and so much fighting! Good food for though today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean...I grew up Catholic and practiced it for a good portion of my young life...but I didn't really care much for it when I got older thanks to mans involvement. Leave it to man to screw up something as good and holy as religion...stupid man.

      Delete
  4. LOL! Nice rant, MJ. I would have to agree that religion isn't what makes an ass. :) My favorite quote from Jesus is "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." Kinda sounds like he was against organized religion, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl...you know me and my rants...I take them seriously.

      Amen to that...I couldn't have said it any better myself. People ruin everything they get their grubby little hands on...we're just a bunch of bad seeds.

      Delete
  5. I agree with every word you've written!

    LOL, "Jesus Juice" - that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm glad to see someone is in my corner.

      Delete
  6. Tell the whole story or don’t say anything at all…the bible isn’t a cafeteria where you can pick and choose what you want and disregard the rest.

    A BIG agreement with that! Tell 'em, MJM. Great stuff, here. I was raised in a pentecostal church, but yeah, any time imperfect people are involved, things can go wrong. My pastor used to say if you find a perfect church, don't join, because then it won't be perfect anymore! We all have to do our best to follow, but grace and forgiveness is what makes it work, not religiosity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl...I really appreciate the feedback.

      It's really a shame that something as loving and beautiful as having a faith has been destroyed because of mans involvement. We claim to be far superior than all other life forms on this planet, when in all reality we are the lowest of the low.

      Delete
  7. MJ,
    Love this. It drives me crazy when people use lines from the Bible to condemn others and make it seem like their lives are being lived wrongly. You are wise and I agree with everything you said. Amen, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean...that drives me crazy too. Stupid people always causing problems for the rest of us thinking people.

      Thanks girl...you kick donkey.

      Delete
  8. It has been said that religion was created as a tool of the rich to control the masses of the poor. Think about it. 1) Thou Shalt Not Kill protected the wealthy and kept their protection service costs to a minimum. 2) Promises of Heaven, or "a better life" were there, but only if they didn't create problems while on Earth. Definitely a way to keep down revolts and such. 3) Church attendance, at designated times and days, was a way of congregating the sheep, and seeing who wasn't there ... the possible future "problem cases" that needed extra watching. There's many more examples to consider here, but I'll stop now. Why? Because I, too, was born Catholic, raised by Baptists, and fine tuned by Pentecostal Holiness. (Talk about screwed up thought patterns, lol) There's a deep, somewhat questioned belief inside of me that refuses me to become a "disbeliever", yet, I have developed many of my own views (as you have) from questioning the reasoning, changing of the times, and logic concerning certain beliefs. In other words, "Who the Hell knows?" Good points and post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what...that actually really makes a lot of sense. You got my mind working again...oh great, now what trouble am I going to get into.

      Delete