Wednesday, November 6, 2013

“The Dangers of Rap Music”

Remember when rap music used to be safe, and when I say safe I don’t mean for the rappers themselves, I mean for us crackers who actually enjoy it.

If those fools want to shoot it out like as if they were in the Wild West then have at it, you can keep the bullets and all that West coast/East coast crap, I just want to hear those bumping jams that make all the chick’s asses clap.

Speaking of the West coast/East coast crap, we also have to watch out for those crazy hand signs too, which by the way when I first saw it in a video was impressed because I thought they were providing sign language for the hearing impaired.

It wasn’t until later that I found out they were throwing up “gang signs” if you will, for their respective hoods and I didn’t want to be caught throwing up the wrong sign, that is if I could ever figure out how to do in the first place, because when I tried I looked like I was having a seizure.  

Back in the day we white people could actually sing-along to a rap song without feeling anxious because we may accidently sing the wrong thing, you know the infamous N word the one that rhymes with trigger…which is what would be pulled if we’re not careful.

When we are at a gathering and a rap song starts we have to be really cautious, especially if we’re surrounded by African Americans, because all eyes will be on the cream in the Oreo if you know what I mean, to see if we behave or not.

We could always just pretend that we don’t like rap music and claim to be a fan of another genre, but just not country because then the next thing we know we’re Mark Fuhrman in the O.J. trial, so it has to be something stereotypically white but not redneck white, like heavy metal.  

We could also just try to sing the song, making sure to omit the naughty words, sure we would sound like a cellphone with poor reception, but it would be worth it to not get our wigs split and branded a racist just for singing a song.

That’s why I like old school rap, it was fun and carefree, it didn’t matter what the color your skin was, you were safe to sing-along and even breakdance if you were so skilled enough.

Being white and liking rap music back in the day also gave us some street cred, not a whole lot but just enough to feel cool, you truly understood how Fonzy felt around all those L 7’s (that’s squares for you lame-os) on Happy Days when you and your crew started bumping some LL Cool J.

See at first us honkies didn’t know we were allowed in the rap club, we were worried it would be like Jay Z trying to join the KKK, but then along came the Beastie Boys and showed us that this club was open to everybody, regardless of skin color and/or if they had rhythm or not.

The bottom-line is this; sure I have to watch my back when getting down with some rap, I have to be aware of what words I say and the hand signs I throw up while getting jiggy with it, but I wouldn’t change it for the world because rap kicks ass.

And for the record, just because I’m white doesn’t mean I only listen to and/or can relate to “wrap” music, I do enjoy myself some N.W.A. and 2 Pac just to name a few.

MJM

8 comments:

  1. As you say Michael, rap has got a lot going for it, particularly those jiggling female buttocks. I've never mastered the hand movements - my 23-year-old son laughs at me on the occasions I try and mimic, and tells me I look retarded.

    I enjoyed your musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan Jones the jiggling female buttocks makes everything good...wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, can't get into rap. Sounds like music for people that can't carry a tune. I know the feeling though as I used to sing R&B the way you do rap. There are some things we just shouldn't do in public. It's like reaching down to grab yourself and missing ... over and over. Nice write my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's true R&B could be dangerous too, us crackers really need to watch ourselves when jamming out..

      Delete
  4. I do miss the 80's when we could all unify against a common enemy, as in NWA's "F*&K tha Police"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that...those pigs keep trying to steal my crops.

      Delete
  5. Sorry--not a fan of rap at all, but I watched my kids go through that phase and cringed. Always been a techno kind of girl...but I DID like Sir-Mix-A-Lot when he first came out. Funny post as always, Michael--you know how to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan of rap! Oh c'mon...I can see you making it clap with the best of them girl.

      Delete