Monday, July 15, 2013

“Food Critic”

I love food, and I know what you’re thinking, “who doesn’t” but unlike everybody else I also love to read food and restaurant reviews. I know to the average person that doesn’t really seem all that fun, but to a fat man like myself, a good food/restaurant review is like reading a good book.

I always dreamt about writing one, sharing my views and tastes with the world, but unfortunately I am what you people with money would call flat busted,like a five year old chick.  So I never really had the opportunity…or so I thought.

Now I know I can’t review, or even step into for that matter, one of those fancy five star restaurants so I figured I would do the next best thing, which is to review an establishment that I am able to eat at. Now with that said, I would like to share my review of McDonald’s with you.

Before I get to my review I want to take a second to say it truly saddens me that all the great characters we grew up with are no longer there. I don’t know, maybe they’re worried the same stupid people who blamed Joe Camel for kids smoking would blame the Hamburglar for kids eating hamburgers, who knows.

I say kill all that noise and bring back the McDonald’s crew, keeping only Ronald is like the show Seinfeld getting rid of Kramer, George and Elaine and allowing Jerry to run things by himself, it just wouldn’t be the same and/or just as good. We need the Fry Guys, Grimace and of course Mayor McCheese back in the house.    

Okay, now back to my review of McDonald’s…

For the most part the restaurant was clean, the flies were to a minimal and only a few of the garbage cans were overflowing. I must say that the ambiance was perfect, at least when it came to the kind of food they served, because what better way to distract you from what you’re putting in your mouth than with a bunch of screaming kids and people complaining about their order/service.

The food, well I had the chicken McNuggets with a hair of the cook garnish, some overly greasy and salty fries and topped it all off with a diet Coke (that way I wouldn’t feel guilty for eating the nuggets and fries…smart right). After finding a table that wasn’t as sticky as flypaper, and of course after exchanging my McNuggets for a fresh set, I sat down to eat.

You have to eat the fries first; because once they’re cold they’re no good and not even worth the potato they were cut from, that is if they are really even from potatoes in the first place. You never really know when it comes to McDonald’s food, if it really is what they say it is.

When you bite into them there is an explosion of salt and grease, kind of like a high cholesterol firecracker exploding right in front of your face, so in a way it’s like getting dinner and a show. However, if McDonald’s wants to avoid lawsuits they should probably serve them with a pair of safety goggles, or at lease put a warning on the label.

Now for the main course, I had the chicken McNuggets (now garnish free) with a nice honey mustard sauce cooked well done, and just because I was playing the role of a critic on this particular visit I ate them with a knife and fork, granted they were plastic but they still did the trick.

Now after the first bite I decided to look directly into the nugget to see what was hidden underneath that golden brown crust and I must say I do not recommend this to anyone, you won’t like what you see. You know the way one is not to look directly into an eclipse; well the same is true for the McNugget.

Honestly I wasn’t really sure what I saw; it looked like meat but moved like pudding, it kind of grossed me out. I was about to abandon ship and toss the remainder of my food up in the air and make it rain chicken* (the board is still out if it is indeed chicken) nuggets but being the dedicated critic I am, and also now being broke since I spent the last of my money on this crap, I went ahead with the mission and finished off my ten piece.

I finally was done with my meal and went to throw away my trash. I couldn’t find a trash receptacle that wasn’t overflowing at this point, so I had to delicately place my garbage on the very top of the heap all with the hopes of not toppling it over, because we all know whoever topples it has to clean it and it was bad enough I was eating garbage, I didn’t want to clean it too.

My review, even though I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate my meal and was burping up grease for the rest of the day, I would have to say when it comes to fast-food McDonald’s gets a three out of five heart attacks…not really lovin' it. Now if they were to bring back the old McDonald’s crew that we all know and love I might go as high as four out of five, but until then they’re only getting a three.

 MJM

34 comments:

  1. Would you say the experience made you...Grimmace? huh? huh?
    I'm sorry, I'll go away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it...and I really wish I would have thought to say that.

      Delete
  2. The image of someone eating his chicken nuggets with a knife and fork cracks me up. Almost as much as doing a review of McDonalds, because you can't afford a real restaurant does.
    Glad you found a way to live out your dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me...it was a real sight to see.

      Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  3. Gross! I always get the nuggets or a salad and french fries if I'm "being good". I don't know if I'll forget your reference to the insides of a nuggets. I QUIT MCDONALDS - at least for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me girl...it's nasty. Never look directly into the nugget...you won't like what you see.

      Delete
  4. I love reading restaurant reviews, too - but only bad ones! I will skip over a favourable review, but I just love reading bad ones. Not that it makes a difference, can't afford to eat out either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must agree the bad reviews are pretty good, especially when they come in the form of a news programs special report...you know with all the dramatic music and interviews with grossed out people.

      Delete
  5. Ulp. Moving meat is scary. Phew, what an adventure, Michael!. http://petsawarenews.com/?p=388

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder what that "moving meat" used to be, because we all know just because the box says chicken or beef doesn't mean that it is.

      Delete
  6. LOL. Nice review. You should check out my review of McDonald's in Dickinson, ND sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't all the McDonald's just about the same...after you've been in one, you've been in them all?

      Delete
  7. Three out of five heart attacks? Statement of the day :) I think you should start a campaign: Who killed the Mayor. You can set up all of the characters with story lines and in the end find out the Mayor ran off with the Fry guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I really should, it's just not right Mayor McCheese never hurt anyone, at least that I know of.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I do admire your courage, young man! Why, many have tried and many have died doing as you did. Thank God you didn't go when the McRib was in season or you would be suffering from chemical poisoning! I remember the first time I went to McDonald's when I was a kid. Their little hamburgers and fries (accompanied by a Chocolate Shake, were fabulous. Little did I know it would take me decades to break away. May your stomach survive the trauma it's endured! I have a Bromo Fizzy if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, when we're younger we are so stupid and easily deceived...we believe that a fat man in a red suit brings presents to all the good girls and boys on Christmas and we believe that McDonald's is the best thing since sliced bread.

      The McRib...ewww that's freaking gross. I tried it once and almost threw up as a result of it...so not a good time.

      Delete
  9. McDonald's America's Favorite Fast Food!!! The day someone posted a picture on facebook of what chicken nuggets were made of was the day I could no longer order them ever! It was a picture I will never forget.
    Where we live, there is only a Mcdonald's and a Church's chicken. Needless to say I cook every meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean that nasty pink stuff...yuppers, that is disgusting.

      Delete
  10. I love the rating system-- 3 out of 5 heart attacks. Look forward to more of your restaurant reviews! I hear ya on the Mickey D Crew, but did you see the recent Burger King? Down right scary? Not sure what demographics they were going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burger King...what are you trying to kill me...that place is like the ghetto of fast-food joints.

      Delete
  11. Too funny! I think you should review some other fast food establishments for your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl...and I'm working on it, but only time (and a strong stomach) will tell what I come up with next.

      Delete
  12. "Make it rain chicken" is just too funny and I LOVE the reference to looking inside the McNuggets as being as bad as staring at an eclipse. I wouldn't eat those things if you paid me. The so called "meat" inside them is simply ground up chicken feet and beaks. Do you feel sick yet?? Just say NO to nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl...and ewww you just made chicken nuggets even worser...if that is even a word.

      Delete
  13. I prefer the fine dining found at Taco Bell where you can use all unconsumed items for household DIY projects- like the refried beans as wallpaper paste and the taco shells for additional cat liter. If you have the time, I, for one, would like to see more of these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids think McDonald's is gourmet dining. That's probably because that's the only place we ever really eat out. Except for Taco John's-because potato oles are where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonald's gourmet dining...yeah I remember feeling that way as a kid too...but then I grew up and matured and realized it was really the devils delight.

      Delete
  15. OMG this is hilarious, friend. McD's is freaking NASTY and I love how you (and hate) reminded me to WTF happened to the other characters? Until I read this, I had forgotten all about them and they were amazing. you, friend, are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love girl. You are right, McDonald's is freaking nasty, but people seem to love it.

      Delete
  16. I miss grimace! And you are 100% right about the fires. Sometimes you even need to go back in time to get them hot enough to enjoy. Maybe we could see grimace there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! Their fries seem to go cold as soon as you sit down, like they are mocking you. That's why I just go behind the counter and eat mine right out of the greasy baskets, it's the only way to truly enjoy them.

      Delete