Tuesday, June 25, 2013

“Blogging, What to Expect”

Writer’s block…one of the side effects of being a blogger;

There are times we will brainstorm until smoke comes out of our ears…but unfortunately the skies are bright and sunny…there aren’t even any clouds in the forecast.

Sometimes the thoughts run free and wild like a streaker at a sporting event…then other times we have to play hostage negotiator with our thoughts...our fingers have to talk our brains into releasing them. It’s not always easy…and sometimes the end result is a bloody massacre but we as bloggers must fight through it.

We eventually get something down…is it our best work, probably not…but at least it’s something…right?

Wrong…we are perfectionist and strive to do our best…so subpar just won’t do…not at all. So now we’re stuck dwelling on it, trying to polish a turd if you will…which in some cases works out for the best and then other times ends up still being a stinky turd…only now nice and polished.

Self-doubt…it’s all part of the game…unfortunately;

When it comes to having confidence in ourselves and the things we do we’re our own worst enemy, we will make ourselves believe we suck…and suck really bad…like getting a BJ from a vampire.

Unfortunately it’s just human nature…it is par for the course…and all that other cliché stuff.

Being a blogger is no different, as we are writing our so-called “masterpieces” we are on cloud nine, we think our poop doesn’t stink and that we can conquer the world. Then once we hit the “submit” button our confidence quickly fades, we become the worst thing since liver and onions…at least in our own eyes.

It’s the before and after affect…like what you see in all those diet ads…in the “before” picture the person is all round and out of shape, then in the “after” picture they are all skinny and all buff looking.

Well for us bloggers our “before” picture is us writing the next Harry Potter, securing our spot atop of the New York times bestseller list…and our “after” picture, well that is not too pretty…we start second guessing ourselves, start thinking we made the biggest mistake of our lives by hitting that submit button.

We are on pins and needles until we receive the first comment to our blog. We anxiously wait…like as if we are up for an Academy award and the presenter is about to announce the winner. When we see the first comment come through it is like the envelope is being opened…our fingers are crossed as we wait to hear who the winner is…us or our self-doubt.

We are a material girl/boy…living in a material world;

Everything and anything we come across becomes potential material…not necessarily good material…but material nevertheless. Instead of just relaxing and having a good time we find ourselves dissecting every situation we’re in…wondering if what we’re experiencing would make for a good story or not.

We have become investigative reporters…but not for something classy and tasteful like Time or People…we work for something like the National Enquirer. We find ourselves talking about Bigfoot, space aliens and possibly even Elvis sightings.

Money for nothing…and the stress for free;

We find ourselves busting our tails…doing all the work of the pros but not getting any of the money. We all have hopes of one day being discovered, being the next big thing…but unfortunately that never happens. The only people who know of us are the other bloggers who are in the same situation.

After a while it becomes more of a club than anything else…we do eventually make it big, but not in the way we wanted to…we end up gaining so much weight because all we do is sit at the computer, come up with crazy stories and eat food that is bad for us.  

Okay blogging isn’t all doom and gloom…it’s actually a lot of fun…but just make sure to keep your feet firmly planted on the ground and your head out of the clouds and everything will be alright.

MJM

16 comments:

  1. Most of the time, bloggers like us are under-estimated, unappreciated and stressed in a lot of areas. Blogging can be fun, especially when you get to get invited or are paid to do so. What also matters is that you find what you are doing rewarding in even in some ways.
    BTW, I'm a new follower. Here is my blog:http://www.gastronomybyjoy.com/ Let's follow each other shall we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you...people like us get swept under the rug and overlooked by the masses.

      Hopefully one day that will all change and we will no longer be at the bottom of the mountain...we will take our rightful place atop the mountain where we belong.

      Thank you for following me...and of course I will return the favor.

      Delete
  2. Worry not, my friend, but keep on! I've learned that for every comment, there's probably 3 people who read without commenting. One day you'll connect with that lurker and they'll be your next biggest fan. After me, of course. But reall, before me. Since I'm just commenting out of the goodness of my black little heart. =D
    ~your biggest fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl you freaking rock...thanks for all the kind words and of course the support...you're the best.

      Delete
  3. You should be shot for mixing Madonna and Dire Straits together in the same post! lol The only thing worse would have been using the Village People's "In The Navy" ("In the Blog World, you can set your spirit free....")! Comments come and comments go. Not everyone can hit every post and comment, especially when they follow so many. I used to try, but nearly ruined my life spending more time on the computer than with my family. Some of my best writings seem to have received the least amount of commenting. Perhaps, they're too long for the blog world. Perhaps, I simply published them on a day everybody else published, too. Who knows? We just keep on keeping on. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's sacrilegious and all...and for that I do apologize...but it was the only way I could think of to get my points across.

      I know that people's time is limited...but there are so many of them out there in cyberspace...so how do we reach the people with enough free time to comment?

      I personally love your posts, they are very funny and so not your typical run of the mill nonsense.

      Delete
  4. I do my best to read 8 blogs a day and write at least 6 blog posts a week. Blogging is fun if you think it's fun; however, I think blogging is very important for any writer (famous or not) to stay consistent with because it does help build a writing platform that we all probably want. Blogging can be stressful, try and following blogs can be stressful; however, if we all just keep on writing and doing anything in our power to get our blog out in the world, then the stress is worth it, in my opinion. Great post and very truthful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree my friend...I too think it's a lot of fun...however as much fun as it is, I would love to make some serious money at it too.

      I have to give you a lot of credit...you read 8 blogs a day and at least 6 blog posts a week...man you put in a lot of work and effort. I really wish I had the time to dedicate to my blogging and my fellow bloggers...but unfortunately as of right now that isn't the case.

      Thanks for reading and for the feedback...I really appreciate it,

      Delete
  5. I don't even have a hope of money, but I do wait for those comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desire both...I want it all. Does that make me sound greedy...probably...but it's all good because life is too short not to have it all.

      Delete
  6. A BJ from a vampire!?!?!?! HAHA!
    I can completely relate to thinking "ooh this is good!" and then clicking Post and feeling like it's crap. Your stuff is never crap though, my friend! And yes, it is stressful and time-sucking and fat-making but dude. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how that would come across...I'm glad it worked out though.

      That feeling totally sucks, doesn't it? I really wish there was a pill or something that would make that feeling go away...but there's not...trust me, I checked.

      Thanks for the kind words...I really appreciate it. I'm glad at least one person likes what I have to say.

      Delete
  7. You are so correct about bloggers dissecting every situation---I watch everything that goes on in this house and the kids will look at me suddenly and clam up. "Shhh! Stop talking or it will end up in her blog..." The coolest thing about blogging? The people I have met this past year. I like my blogger friends better than my "real" friends now. They get me. But there should be a warning out there for all the new bloggers---keep the bag of Hershey Kisses and the can of Pringles far, far away from the computer....you might want to lock up the liquor cabinet, too. Tequila has a way of sneaking into blog posts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl...I do the very same thing...everything and anything has the potential to be blog material.

      I do agree with you...I too have met some awesome people as a result of my blogging. That is definitely a plus when it comes to blogging...no doubt about it.

      Yes food...and liquor is very bad...at least when it comes to blogging.

      Delete
  8. Ah, self-doubt, a concept with which I am intimately acquainted. I learned over the years that if I don't write a hit, I just tell myself "I can't knock it out of the park every time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your whole "I can't knock it out of the park every time" attitude...and I myself try to have the same attitude...but unfortunately, thanks to self-doubt, I always seem to be on the receiving end of a strikeout and/or not even get up to bat.

      Delete